Time spent outdoors can relax, recharge, and refresh. Time spent outdoors worrying about ticks? Not so soothing.
To help homeowners protect their families and homes from a tick infestation this year, Arrow Exterminators recommends the following simple, proactive measures:
- Maintain your yard. This includes cutting tall grass, shrubbery, bushes and plants.
- Groom your pets such as dogs and cats. Ticks can easily latch onto pets when they are outside.
- Ticks are frequently found on rodents, so make sure your home is clean and rodent-free.
- When spending time outdoors, wear long-sleeved shirts and pants, and if possible, wear clothing light in color so ticks are easier to detect.
- Check yourself and pets for ticks whenever coming in from the outside. If any are found, quickly remove the tick or flea from your body with fine-tipped tweezers.
- Tumble-dry clothes in a dryer on high heat for 10 minutes to kill ticks on dry clothing after you come indoors.
- Contact a local pest control professional if you suspect a tick infestation.
Published with permission from RISMedia.